Monday 26 March 2012

My Space Monday

This weeks my space feature is from another of the Osborne family, Kim Osborne a.k.a Knockout.
Where is this work space that you call home? 

My workspace is upstairs in the spare room. I've been using it as a workspace for about 18 months now.

 


























 







What makes this space a perfect working environment for you? 

Luckily it's one of the lightest rooms in the house and has a huge built in wardrobe to put all my bits and pieces in. Everything I need is to hand, and if I am very lucky and I wait long enough someone will make me a cup of tea!


What object in your workspace could you not live without and why?

Probably my home-made printing press. I put it together with a little help from my Dad (or should that be the other way round?!). It's made from lots of wood and a scissor jack. I simply crank it up to press the prints. So simple and effective and it cost a fraction of the price of a proper press.



































Explain to us a typical day in your work space.

I work at home on a Monday and a Friday. I usually spread my time between my workroom (for printing), the computer downstairs (for admin and on-screen designing) and the dining table (for mini photoshoots). If I am planning to do lots of printing I'll prep my workspace and use the press and table to get everything going. I also use the space for drawing and sketching designs as well as wrapping and packing all my orders.














If there was a fire in the building, what would be the 3 items/objects that you would instantly grab?

I think the press would be too heavy! One of my drawers is full of my cut lino's that I have used on various prints so I may take that with me - so much time and effort have gone in to them. I also have a few vintage letterpress alphabets which I would love to save, also the only copies I have of a joke book I illustrated last year - I wouldn't like them to be forgotten!


Any tips on maintaining a work space and how to ensure a productive day in the studio? 

When doing a print run I use most of the surfaces in the room to lay the prints out to dry. This means I have to be clever with what I'm doing and when I'm doing it so that I don't need the tables in the workroom for anything for a while. This is when dividing my time up between computer work and print work comes in handy, so it's really important to plan ahead.

I find a great way to be productive is to write lists. I write lists for each day I am working from home, ticking things off helps me stay focused and feel like I'm getting things done. I have long-term plans so I know I am going in the right direction with my products and promotion, and list key dates in a spreadsheet which I print off and put on my noticeboard so it's always there to remind me.


Sometimes it's easy to get distracted and spend an afternoon doodling when I should have been printing or taking photos, but I try not to feel guilty about that. When you work for yourself part of the joy is being able to be your own boss and be flexible. If, at the end of the month, everything gets done then all is OK - it doesn't matter if you veered off course for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment